Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's a Small World After All!

Last week we attended church at the American Branch in Taichung- about an hour north of us. It's a much bigger city than Changhua, as in, we realized we are really living in quite a rural little town. We like it that way though- access to more Taiwanese culture. Taichung has been very westernized with gigantic department stores and the like, which you definitely won't find where we are!

Anyway, back at the American Branch. When I walked in last week to Relief Society (which is first) and filed into the last row, a girl in front of me turned around and we made eye contact. In slow motion we realized we knew each other! I had gone to high school with her and we took Japanese together our junior year- what on earth was she doing here?! As I stood and introduced myself "I just moved here from CA with my husband Ray." she flipped around and whispered urgently "You're married now?!"

"Just had our one year! Are you here teaching with ILP?" I whispered back.

"On my mission!" She displayed her nametag. "I go home in 6 weeks!"

It was so insane seeing her again, we sat after church and caught up about old times and I filled her in on who is married now. It was great to see a familiar face. I love how the Gospel of Christ brings people together over oceans and vast lands. There is truly no end to His love. Missionaries are such a blessing to members and nonmembers alike and I am so grateful for their examples in being a light to the world.

This Sunday we attended church at the Chinese ward, because instead of a bike ride, a train ride, a bus and a walk away, it's only a 2 minute walk down the street. The sister missionaries met us in the morning and walked us there, where we met the elders and another American who has lived here for five years after serving his mission here. We totally hit it off with him and his wife, and it turns out: they live in the same apartment complex as us! We've already made plans to do some weekend traveling with them so they can show us around Changhua and beyond. Prepare yourselves for those epic tales soon to come.

A few other things of note:

I saw my first cockroach last night. It was vile and disgusting and I never want to see one again. Too bad another scampered across the floor this afternoon as I was watching the end of Inception. To my good fortune though- Ray saved the day with a can of Raid! Hopefully they don't make it up to our room on the 3rd floor, we've only seen them so far on the 1st. Bleh!

Our classes were small this week since it's summer holiday- hopefully this week they will beef up a little bit. I was so impressed with my students when they randomly broke into song: It's a Small World After All, followed by every verse and word to I've Been Workin' on the Railroad. Totally made my day :)

I figured out how to get pictures onto my new computer! So now we can share a little more of our experience with you all. For example: Here is how we feel about riding our bikes through terrifying streets of death.

Whichever face you look at, this is not okay. Even our dear friend's in the background staring so endearingly at us.

1 comment: