Sunday, April 7, 2013

Holy Smokes

So it started... and then two weeks later I surfaced again with an intense cold and no voice. What a harsh welcome back to teaching swimming lessons!

I spent just about everyday, all day for the last two weeks at the pool on base teaching private and group lessons. It was so much fun. Not only did I get some work outs in (ouch, quite out of shape), but I met some marvelous people in my coworkers and my students. Working with kids is always such a delight. Even when it's a challenging group, I always find myself smiling at the things they say and do.

Especially in the pool. I love watching kids try butterfly for the first time and then watching their faces light up when I tell them about when I learned, and not to worry because it takes years to get it down.

I love the cheers from parents the first time their child dives down to the bottom and retrieves a ring on their own, or passes the level they've been stuck at for months or even years.

I love the thank yous, hugs and high fives I get from my students after a great lesson when I can tell they really did enjoy practicing their skills. I love feeling like I was able to help them progress in some way.

After that quick two weeks, my transcripts finally showed, and I'm able now to start at the child development center at a local elementary school. I'm really looking forward to this job, and even though it will take most of my time away from the pool, I'm really hoping it will prove just as rewarding. After all, I'll still be working with kids.

It was flattering and humbling that I had several parents request me for their child's lessons again. It was hard having to say I wouldn't be teaching group lessons this next session. I'll never say never though. : )

*Sigh*

Alright, enough's enough. Time for more updates! Ray has also been working and seems to really be enjoying it. He works at a school age center that provides after school care for children ages 5-8. Already, (of course) the kids have taken to him and he's brought home a few drawings and crafts made specifically for him. It looks like his job will be very fulfilling.

I had a birthday and am finally 23! This birthday was weird in that I already felt 23 so having a day to celebrate it seemed superfluous.. But I got cake and my traditional Winger's copycat foods, so I won't complain. I had to teach all day on my birthday so my mom spoiled me and made my favorites. When I got home, Ray had decorated the whole house with balloons and crepe paper. We wore our party hats and had a great time around the dinner table together.

Ray wanted a picture of me celebrating my birthday with my favorite things... I think this is me trying to convey utmost excitement without actually taking my eyes off my food. I was really excited and hungry.
Ray the Birthday Dinosaur showed up. Thanks Ray.
Our last real update of note - okay second to last, but I'm not telling you the last one - is that our favorite local restaurant shut down :( Sad, sad day. We went there on the last night and got one final order of our favorite schnitzels. Delicious as ever. Now the quest is on to find a replacement restaurant. Wednesday night Schnitzel Abend (Schnitzel Night) must continue!

Schnitzel with noodles. It's one of Fraulein Maria's favorite things.

Mushroom Schnitzel

 I know you're dying to know our final update, but alas, Ray claimed writing that post.

So you will just have to wait : )






Oh yeah... Happy Easter! and Ray shaved his face!




1 comment:

  1. I thought Ray looked younger for some reason! Thanks for clarifying about his beard, I missed the fact that its missing!

    ReplyDelete