Friday, February 22, 2013

Trier

For the long, holiday weekend, we had originally been tossing around the idea of going to Paris.

That was a little pricey though.

Plus, my mom had to leave to London Monday morning for work, so we all just lounged and relaxed this weekend. On Monday, Ray, my stepdad and I all went to Trier; about 45 minutes from home.

Back during the Roman Empire, Trier was the "Rome" of the North. It had Roman baths, an amphitheater and a grand city wall. Today, the ruins are the oldest Roman remains north of the Alps. Most structures dated back at least 2000 years. Everything was within easy walking distance so we spent the afternoon roaming and snapping pictures. The downtown area is now full of stores and restaurants, so I picked up a coin purse there too (when I got here, I had three different nations currencies in my wallet. That wasn't working out so well in the checkout line).

Porta Nigra- the gate to the ancient city of Trier. It's been made black by centuries of pollution.

This is the entrance into the basement of the Imperial Baths. If the baths had ever been completed, this is where the water would have run, heating and cooling the rooms above.
Another hallway of the Imperial Baths. It was dark and dank down there. Definitely not where I'd want to be during the zombie apocalypse.

This is my favorite picture of us from the trip. Right after I had been alerted that there crumbs on my face. How embarrassing...

Perspective. This structure is more than a thousand years old.

In medieval times, a noble family took over the 'ruined' baths and turned it into their home.

This amphitheater is thought to have held 20,000 people at times. There are 15 cage rooms around the ring where animals and gladiators were held just before being released into the arena. Walking into the small rooms and thinking of who or what had been held there centuries ago was an eerie feeling. 

Back in the downtown area where even fountains have history and awe-striking powers.


Trier was an excellent day trip. There's still plenty more to see, so it may merit another visit, in the summer though.

No comments:

Post a Comment